Monday, August 26, 2013

The Power of Intention

         We've all heard of the Law of the Attraction, or The Secret; if you think it, it will come; the universe provides. Is any of this really valid? Is my thinking and meditating about a fruitful career in massage therapy, just going to make it happen? Of course not. Sure its good to send out positive thoughts and wishes out into the universe, but its also about combining ACTION with our thoughts that makes things happen. These days, there are so many people talking about high vibrations, and the stars all aligning to make changes in our lives. So does that give us an excuse to just sit around and wait. Wait for the world to give us something we didn't work for to achieve? When did we become so entitled? Why do we feel that somehow we are owed financial prosperity, successful and loving relationships and a booming business? Just because we've been "good" and sent out powerful, positive vibrations out into the universe, doesn't mean jack. In fact, it just means we've become a lazy, and indulgent society. We feel like work is secondary and then we cry when we're broke.

          For those of you that know me, you are well aware of my own need for partying and socializing. Its fun! Who really wants to sit around and work all day? Not this girl! As I've gotten older, however, its become crystal clear to me, that I needed to be self-sufficient. I am too old to relay on my parents, and I sure as hell don't want to relay on a man to support me for the rest of my life, either. I have to do this for myself. For years, I've talking about going into business for myself for yoga and massage. Even as a 23 year old girl, I wanted to some day be my own boss, but didn't realize how much work it actually takes to do so. It's only recently, and out of shear necessity that I've taken the reins to life and decided to take some action. I've had so many wonderful, inspiring people come in and out of my life lately. That it does feel like all that intending and praying is opening up doors for me. I've met mentors and guides, both male and female in the past couple years or so that have really opened my eyes and made me think about my own life and what it is that I'm here to do. I can't thank them enough, and they know who they are. Now it's time to put all that planning and intending into action.

         With the summer quarter wrapping up, here are IPSB, I've accumulated 450 massage hours. To get the CMP - Certified Massage Practitioner, you need 250. For the MT - Massage Therapy Certificate, you need 500. So, as I am smack in the middle, I decided to apply and get the CMP, so I can at least work under someone. Maybe not yet for myself, but why not try to get my foot in the door and get some practise touching more bodies. I decided to take a stack of resumes and walk around La Jolla, Del Mar and Solana Beach and apply to spas, salons, hotels, anything really that might have a front desk and potentially massage. It was a hot day, but I was determined. I was almost ready to turn around and go home, when I saw this giant chiropractic sign in a huge shopping plaza. I decided to give it a shot and marched in there, nervous as heck for the first time. I was greeted by Scott and Kellee, husband and wife owners of Rutley Chiropractic & Weight Loss. After my initial stutter, I was able to get out that I was looking for a front desk position, and that I was finishing up massage therapy school and would be interested in offering those services if they were interested in that too. To my pleasant surprise, they were interested! Just so happens that their part time front desk receptionist was leaving and they were thinking about bringing on a massage therapist. The universe had granted me a very lucky day :) That same day, I sent off all of my paperwork to the California Massage Council to get my license going. Not even a day went by, when Dr. Kellee called me and invited me to come in chat more thoroughly about this job. I was elated. I got a confirmation that my paperwork had arrived, and in 90 days my license would be here. I began my training, learning how organize patient files, questioners and learning the sale software. A mere two weeks later, my license arrived in the mail and I get my first massage scheduled at the chiropractic office :) It's as if the universe was actually listening to me!
   
        While my work at Rutley is ramping up, my own home massage business is also in the works. I have the location, I have the time and energy to make it happen. I have a fire burning under me that is, raging, not just billowing smoke.. My partner in crime, Dane and I have finally found a place we can grow. A cute little duplex in Clairement, with a garage and a backyard for activities. This garage is soon to be my massage palace. I plan on getting flowy fabric to line the walls and ceiling. I'm going to create a heavenly escape room, with soft lighting, water sounds, and even bars from the ceiling for me to hold onto while I do Ashiatsu on my clients. For those of you unfamiliar, its Oriental deep tissue foot massage.  That's right, I'm gonna walk on people, and they're gonna like it! I can't wait to make my magical massage paradise a reality.  All the intending in the world isn't going to do it. Its up to me.

        It's also time to market myself. Who knew this whole business thing was going to be so "businessy"? My friend Kevin, data, marketing guru has assigned me homework. Researching names for my own business, making my own business cards, color schemes, expense reports, learning QuickBooks and what type of business model I want to create. All stuff I never really thought about until now. It really is one large homework assignment, with one step after the other.

        As Polexia Aphrodisia said in "Almost Famous", it's all happening. The universe is listening, and I'm off my ass and making things happen. As soon as I motivated myself, things started to change. We can sit around and talk and intend until we're blue in the face, but when we add even the smallest amount of action to our intentions, suddenly the entire game changes. There's movement, progress and we can actually make our dreams a reality. I will say that I've been very fortunate to have a solid support team from my friends and family. But if you want something, you HAVE to get up and GET it! Otherwise all of those beautiful intentions will fall by the waist side. Intend powerfully!





No comments:

Post a Comment